The George Adams Gallery traces its origin to the Allan Frumkin Gallery founded in Chicago in 1952 and New York in 1959. George Adams’ association with the New York gallery began in 1980, when Mr. Adams and Mr. Frumkin formed a partnership, Frumkin/Adams Gallery, in 1988. Upon Mr. Frumkin’s retirement in 1995, the gallery assumed its present identity of George Adams Gallery. In 2005, after 46 years on 57th Street, the gallery relocated to West 26th Street in Chelsea.
Since 1959, the gallery has been associated with a diverse range of artists including Robert Barnes, William Beckman, Mel Chin, Joseph Cornell, Manny Farber, Paul Georges, Paul Granlund, Theodore Halkin, Robert Hudson, June Leaf, Arthur Lieizig, Maryan, James McGarrell, Willard Midgette, Philip Pearlstein, James Surls, James Valerio, and Sandy Winters.
The gallery also specialized in 20th Century European master drawings and regularly held exhibitions of prints and works on paper by Max Beckmann, Lovis Corinth, James Ensor, Alberto Giacometti, and Henri Matisse, among others.
The gallery also played an important role in introducing the work of contemporary Latin American artists beginning with Roberto Matta in the 1950’s. The gallery mounted the first solo exhibitions in the United States for Luis Cruz Azaceta (1979), Jose Bedia (1991), Rosana Palzyan (1998), and Yoan Capote (2004), as well as exhibitions of works by Carlos Alfonzo, Luis Benedit, Juan Francisco Elso, and Arnaldo Roche Rabell.
The gallery is a founding member of the Art Dealers Association of America.