International Women’s Day: Founded over a hundred years ago evolving through various names and dates, this fulcrum of women’s rights was adopted by the United Nations only in 1975 and is still largely overlooked in many countries. (more…)
Neue Galerie New York is a museum devoted to early twentieth-century German and Austrian art and design, displayed on two exhibition floors. The collection features art from Vienna circa 1900, exploring the special relationship that existed between the fine arts of Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, Oskar Kokoschka, Richard Gerstl, and Alfred Kubin, and the decorative arts created at the Wiener Werkstätte by such known figures as Josef Hoffmann, Koloman Moser, and Dagobert Peche, and by celebrated architects as Adolf Loos, Joseph Urban, and Otto Wagner.
The German art collection represents various movements of the early twentieth century: the Blaue Reiter and its circle Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, August Macke, Franz Marc, Gabriele Münter; the Brücke with Erich Heckel, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Hermann Max Pechstein, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff; the Bauhaus including Lyonel Feininger, László Moholy-Nagy, Oskar Schlemmer; the Neue Sachlichkeit with Otto Dix, George Grosz, Christian Schad; as well as applied arts from the German Werkbund as Peter Behrens and the Bauhaus with Marianne Brandt, Marcel Breuer, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Wilhelm Wagenfeld.
The museum’s name has its historical roots in various European institutions, artists’ associations, and commercial galleries, foremost the Neue Galerie in Vienna, founded in 1923 by Otto Kallir. All sought to capture the innovative, modern spirit they discovered and pursued at the turn of the twentieth century.