While focusing on moments of mistake and misrecognition, Naeem Mohaiemen’s research into aspirations towards utopia during the Cold War era, manifested through decolonization, revolution, and independence.
Tokyo Arts and Space (TOKAS) is an art center dedicated to the generation and promotion of new art and culture from the heart of Tokyo. Based in TOKAS Hongo and TOKAS Residency, TOKAS supports and nurtures young talent in all fields as well as takes a role as a hub in a global cultural network of affiliated cultural facilities in Japan and abroad, and at once a platform for both new talents and internationally active artists to exchange and showcase their works. Through various joint programs, the two venues will continue their broad array of artistic activities in order to provide artists with a stage for creative work.
– Support, nurture and promote emerging artists from Tokyo.
– Establish a platform in Tokyo to function as a hub for art and culture in Asia and the world.
– Support diverse activities of art and culture in Tokyo as vehicles of the city’s vital energy.
– Function as place for pilot programs, experimental and research projects for new strategic culture policy of Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
– Foster human resources engaged in cultural practices.
Tokyo Arts and Space hopes to see young talents from Tokyo blossom on the international stage and has developed a series of stepwise and continuous programs tailored to career stage and experience including shows, exhibitions and international fellowships.